Sunday, September 7, 2008

Long trip

On July 25 I made my first unaccompanied really long trip on my scooter. I rode from Tacoma Washington to Beaverton Oregon. I was unsure what to expect, so I spoke with several motorcycle riders that I know, and all recommended that I take a tire repair kit, and a tool kit, I all ready have those.

The Saturday before my trip I changed my engine oil and final drive oil, checked all bolts and threaded fasteners and lights. Every thing was in order.

I used Mapsource for my gps unit and planed my route. Because my scoot is a 125cc I knew that I needed to avoid all freeway. That is one of the custom route planning tools in Mapsource.

Mapsource said it would take right at 3 hours, I was thinking 5. I was planning on maintaining 40 mph average. With wrong turns turns that I made the trip down was 4 hours 44 minutes and 177 miles my moving average speed was 36.8 miles per hour.

On the return trip north my time was 4 hours 14 minutes and 168 miles with a moving average of 40 miles per hour .

In town on my daily commute I average 81 miles per gallon, but on my trip I got 82.6 miles per gallon, with my throttle pined wide open.

I did stop for fuel more often than I would normally because I was not sure where the gas stations were, and my fuel tank only holds 1.2 gallons, thats not room for error.

I want and would do it again if the opportunity presents itself again, it was a blast.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the safe trip. I sense more touring in your future if you enjoyed it a lot.

HEAVYVINOand TANTOR said...

Yes it was fun. I would like to do more long trips like that. Maybe to the ocean, or Canada.

Pvino said...

HV,

That was a great- glad you had a great time on your Vino; I still would ride my scooter to Las Vegas via Garmin GPS routing under bikes. That way I avoid the freeways and commute on legal highways no faster than 55mph. Glad you had a great time and I am all for scootering using the most "Green - mpg" approach. In my opinion a 150cc size scooter would be the same as a 125cc scooter, top end essentially the same and worthless on the freeway. Enjoy and looking forward on hearing your next scootering adventure.

Phil
Vino 125 in SoCal

Pvino said...

HV,

Another congratulation on another trip on your Vino 125. I am like you...enjoying what the Vino 125 has to offer; no doubt the little engine can carry us a long way on a gallon of gas; maintaining respectable open road/highway speeds of 50-55mph and economical like a 80cc Honda scooter. I also plan my routes and my top one day ride was around 188 miles. Of course I filled up twice to be on the safe side and carry 20 ounces of gasoline in a cannister for back up. Good hearing on your ride and awaiting for more of your adventure.

Phil
FV

Jeremy Z said...

Keep it up. Are you still riding? Not many posts. I'm not very good at keeping up either. Don't be a stranger.

-Jeremy
pullings.blogspot.com

australia visa said...

This is a cool and enjoying trip. Well, I wish this would also happen to me and of course also with my friends or relatives...