Monday, June 30, 2008

Thoughts on the VINO 125 after 8000 miles.

Let me start by saying that I went with the Vino 125 because of the price point, and dealer network. All I had to choose from was Honda, Suzuki, and Yamaha, I had no other dealers from which to choose. I didn't want to drive 40 to 50 miles just to get a part or service. Now on to my thoughts.

I feel that if you are a heavier rider like myself, the Vino 125 is probably better suited for you. I have read on many that lighter weight riders are complaining of a harsh ride,but they also say it gets better if they ride two up.

The tires Chen Shen are wearing better than I would have though. After 8000 miles they are still within safe limits for tire wear. Which bring up another question that I have to think about, continue to run Chen Shen tires, or replace them with a different tire?

I change my oil every 1000 miles , Mobil1, and have started to have it analyzed.
My power and mileage continued to increase up to about 6500 miles. I can't offer any numbers on power increase, other than to say I could feel it, and see it on the speedometer. A hill on my daily commute that I use to climb at 30mph at wide open throttle can now be climbed at 38 to 42 mph, depending on wind. I will say that my average speed on this hill is up by at least 5 to 6 mph.
My mileage, I have tracked it from day 1, has reached as high an average as it will get for now, at 77.6 I tell everyone that asks 80 mpg. My lowest was 64mpg and my highest was 90.6 mpg. I am very happy with 77.6 mpg.

Back to the speedometer, when I purchased the scooter I wanted to check the speedo for accuracy and was very pleased, it read 1.3% high, I again checked it at 5000 miles and it read 1.21% high. I conducted many tests, and they were two way tests, to see if the reading would be the same in both directions.

My top speed has also increased from the 54mph when brand new to 65 miles per hour now. The vinos sweet spot seem to be in the 45 to 55. During my testing I found out the Vino's CVT maxed out at 40 mph, so any thing over 40 was all engine.

If I could get Yamaha to make a few changes, I think they should be a larger fuel tank, a rear disk brake, and a larger generator. So would I buy another Vino 125 yes I would. I feel it is the most bang for your buck, in its size class, and price point. The dealer network for parts and service is quite large and there are 3 within eight miles of where I live.

1 comment:

Pvino said...

Good to hear from you again, sorry to hear about your family issues and good to see you back onto the site. Like you I am very please with my Vino and she continues to be a reliable work horse. I totally agreed with your assessment on the tires and performance. It does get better with age. :)

Safe riding,
Phil