Monday, August 13, 2007

Painted

As you can see the painting is done and the color match is good all that is needed is to let the paint cure and to wax it. I am very pleased with the out come but more so with the total cost of this repair.
The total time involved was 2.25 hours, my windscreen was scratched, it took the brunt of the fall, it took just under an hour, and is clear again.
The front fender had one spot that was scratched about 2 sq. inches, but not deeply, took about 20 minutes.
The front leg shied, that I feature here took the remainder of the time.
The paint that I used was just a can I got from the auto parts store for less than 7 us dollars.

The key to the type of repair in my opinion is to take you time and don't start sanding with to big of a grit. I started with 360 grit, for big removal, then went to 600 to smooth it out.
600 still left scratches that could be visible so I sanded it with 1800 grit, and finished with 2400 grit to give it a real nice smooth finish. All sanding was wet sanding.

The sand paper that I used is micro-mesh, had an old military kit that was used to polish aircraft canopys, work great. That is about it if I Think of any more I will do another post.

3 comments:

Phil said...

HV,

A good repair job and from the picture I can't tell if there was ever a scratch.. Thank goodness you took upon yourself and learn from this incident.

FV

HEAVYVINOand TANTOR said...

Thanks phil I hope others can learn replacement is not the only way. I had most of what I used.

Jeremy Z said...

Hey, good job on the repair! Thanks for posting the how-to.